Vision and Values
At Mercia School, we offer an education that is traditional and academically rigorous. It is our belief that all pupils, whatever their background, have a right to a culturally rich education. We strive to ensure all pupils can access the very best universities in the land, or a valuable alternative.
We teach our pupils that success requires hard work, and that hard work can beat talent. Pupils are supported to be highly aspirant for themselves and they are expected to work with their teachers positively to achieve exciting goals in a range of domains. Exceptional behaviour is expected from pupils to ensure all pupils are safe and happy at school. A calm and orderly environment helps all to achieve well.
Crucially, we are committed to making sure that pupils who require additional support receive the help they need to catch up from our teachers. We make sure that pupils are rewarded for their efforts and hard work. At Marcia, we feel it is essential that pupils are fully aware of their successes and triumphs.
Mercia School encourages close family involvement. We want parents/carers to play an active part in their child’s education and to support our staff as they carry out their responsibilities. We encourage all stakeholders to take responsibility for themselves and their decisions. Parents/carers and pupils sign our Home School Agreement before they commence at Mercia School. It is essential that all parents/carers buy in to the vision and values of the school.
All Mercia pupils:
- Believe hard work leads to success;
- Are inquisitive and strive to master knowledge in all areas;
- Show impeccable behaviour at all times;
- Are leaders who take responsibility for their learning and actions;
- Are passionate learners;
- Display respect, kindness and gratitude as standard;
- Are committed to the school’s values;
- Remain curious and are keen to develop an independent mind.
All Mercia parents:
- Support the high expectations of Mercia School;
- Are fiercely loyal to the values of the school;
- Share an unshakeable bond with teachers and the school ethos;
- Embrace and support the school’s discipline model;
- Are aspirational for their child and support the school’s academically rigorous curriculum;
- Understand the positive role they must take in ensuring their child is culturally enriched.
All Mercia staff:
- Are relentless in supporting the school’s ambition to be the very best school in the UK;
- Are leaders of knowledge in their specialism;
- Understand it is their professional imperative to be at the forefront of educational debate, research and practice;
- Conduct themselves professionally in and out school and uphold high standards of dress, speech and are passionate lovers of learning who find joy in helping young people;
- Take pride in being a highly-skilled individual that is professional;
- Are emotionally intelligent;
- Will support all children fully, whatever their need may be;
- Keep commitments made to students, families and colleagues;
- Show kindness and gratitude at all times;
- Work hard for young people;
- Constantly look to make a positive difference;
- Are aspirational for all students.